Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A montage of photographs from some recently "re-discovered" negatives in the Velobanjogents archive...

It's a wet series of days here in Sydney and winter approaches so I forsook my shed and prowling around the "mess" I call my office, I spied some of my negative collection for the 1970's and scanned some in...
It became addictive...so let me share some of the scanned prints with you.
Again no particular theme, although many are from the Easter motorcycle races at the Mount Panorama circuit at Bathurst, NSW in 1978 where they had a classic machine race.
Thanks to Phil Hine for searching through his 1978 Bathurst program to supply some names to machines...
He emailed a pic of himself on a Petty Manx at Oran Park...


Left click on the images to enlarge them....
Kel Carruthers 1960/61 ex works Honda 250/4.
This IS NOT Bathurst!
It's a ripper of  a picture, from a negative I acquired somewhere...
comment on the covering envelope was...."German passenger at Monza for motorcycle Grand Prix, 10.09.1956, at rehearsal"...
Dennis Fry bought this 350 Manx Norton together with a 350 Mk.8 KTT engine fitted, from NZ...nice bit of kit....but this pic I now believe to be at Amaroo Park.
Elmer McCabe, an Ulsterman long resident in Sydney and an AMC racing man made up this road going 7R...he fitted racing numbers to it so he could ride in an historic parade at Bathurst in 1978.
The late Ross "splinta" Pentecost also an AMC man regularly rced this 500 Matchless, which from memory was a Shelsey Walsh model (??...correct me if I'm wrong...). Bathurst 1978.
Jack Rasmussen's Reynold's 1956 500 Inter Norton...Bathurst 1978.
Dennis Fry's 500 Manx Norton, Bathurst 1978.
My Smith framed, Carey engined MAC #55 ridden by Tony Hatton...well known Velo man Ron Kessing, someones youngster, Alan Burt speaking with who?, Bathurst 1978.
Allen Armour's 1948 350 AJS.....
AJS 7R...unsure whose...,Bathurst 1978.The program list #33 as a 1957 Triumph ridden by Des Searle..
Thought I'd finish off with this...photographer that I am...even I fell for the "double exposure" trick....the camera was a 2.25" x 2.25" Mamiya twin lens and unless you remembered to wind the film on you got a double exposure....
Interesting 1000 JAP featured...again at Bathurst 1978.


I've had an email from Michael Brudar who currently owns the big JAP in the above double exposure.
He says...
"..the double exposure is of my Hargreaves_JAP, built in Melbourne in the mid 30's - CS1 Norton frame, Coventry Eagle flying 8 side valve crankcases ..Dunelt heads and barrels.
The bike was used for all sorts of competition in Victoria including road racing, hill climbs and later grass track with a sidecar.
The photo below is at Ballarat road races, ridden by Dennis Skinner.

And the bike as it is today.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great shots. Do you have any more of the Norton with the KTT8 motor?